Two things

First, the big announcement. On Friday night I got engaged to Karin.

It’s been lovely! We’re so happy about it! And everybody else, or nearly everybody else, is happy, too!

The wedding date isn’t fixed – we’re considering May, we’re considering July – but we know that the venue will be our church ($0), that our marriage counselor will be our pastor ($0), and that the colors will be yellow and purple (“Like the Lakers?” I ask. “Yes,” says Karin). I’ll be in charge of choosing the placement-card font, among other things. My “best man” will be Stephen; the other groomsmen will be David and Martin.

“It’s just one day,” one wise person told us.

We’ll try to keep that in mind, so as not to over-plan that day. Truth is, I’m more interested in the days and years to follow.

Alex Liu, dear friend, if you’re reading this in China or wherever, please let me know, and I’ll send you an invitation.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Now, the littler announcement. I’m taking a history class at IUSB: a seminar on U.S./Latin American foreign relations. The first session was today. The next session will occur in two weeks. The first reading assignment is 180 pages of Adobe Jenson, which I get tired of. But just 15 pp. per day should do the trick.