A grand day out

Spring Break came and went. Mainly I spent it on the couch, thinking about my diet. (My goal is to fit into a particular suit by David’s wedding-time.)

I lost five lbs.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

After this morning’s work shift, I treated myself to a stroll along my old haunts: westward on Mishawaka Ave.; northwestward, next to the river; to and fro, down-town. Then, for the first time, I went into the DoubleTree Hotel. In the lobby I browsed the well-stocked bookshelves. I detected no thematic pattern to the books: spine color (white, gray, black, or blue) appeared to be the sole criterion for inclusion.

I wandered over to the hotel’s enormous, empty atrium. There I bought a Starbucks drink and sat and read. Light flowed down from the high glass ceiling; heating machinery distantly hummed. Cozy in my armchair, I was happy.