Walking

I’ve been walking home from IUSB. Every day, I change the route; usually it’s a little more than four miles. My longest walk was straight up Twyckenham, then straight across Edison and Angela. My shortest walks have (mostly) followed the East Bank Trail, which goes beside the St. Joe River.

One night I walked along Lincolnway East. That is one lonely-assed road. But I was delighted when I finally reached Downtown South Bend, because I was able to cut across a series of empty, shiny parking lots.

Alas, I can’t say I’ve had a lot of epiphanies during these walks. This doesn’t mean that the mental gears haven’t been turning. They just haven’t been turning any more than usual. Today they were turning during an idle period at work. I was sitting absolutely still. My boss walked past my window, then did so again. Then he came into the office just to point out that the whole time, I’d been staring at the same spot. I asked him if that was OK, and he said it was.

Last week I did have some epiphanies, walking beside Angela in the dark. It was a curious feeling, all those neurons firing inside me, and flowing out of my nose, while next to me the stream of headlights drifted quietly along.