Overrated

And now, an important announcement:

What: World Cup qualifier, Ecuador vs. Bolivia.
Where: Quito.
When: Tomorrow (Friday) at 4:30pm, U.S. Eastern Time.

Pray for Ecuador to win.

According to the newest FIFA rankings, Ecuador is the 17th-best team in the world. We’re overrated, I think. Still, I predict we’ll defeat Bolivia by two goals (inelegantly).

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Speaking of FIFA (the video game, not the organization): One of the perks of working at IUSB is that I can use my I.D. card to play FIFA in the recreation building. The problem is, I don’t have an I.D. card. The supply has been exhausted. But a new shipment will arrive next week.

Another nice thing about IUSB is the “walking taco,” available on Thursdays for $2. It consists of an open bag of Fritos corn chips, and meat and cheese mixed with them.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Outside of tutoring, the first student I met at IUSB was a Pre-Raphaelite girl at the bus stop, daintily sprawled out all over the bench. “Oh, you want to sit here,” she said. She made room for me and then told me about her nomadic past. I also am a nomad, but did not mention it.

The next day I met another student, on the elevator. He glared at me for some moments and then abruptly confessed: “I hate everyone here. The faculty, the staff, and the students. I hate them all.” I told him I was sorry.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

JP, how many books do you intend to write? And why are you so prolific on Xanga, but not in philosophy?

Well, this is what I’m constantly explaining to my friends in academia who aren’t philosophers.