Silver Blaze

We got a new stationary bike. When we aren’t pedaling on it, we store it between an armchair and a sofa.


A coupon lowered the cost from $89 to $77. Ordinarily, I’d mistrust such a cheap piece of equipment, but the reviews won me over.

We named it “Silver Blaze” after the horse in the Sherlock Holmes tale. Other names I considered:
  • “Orcrist the Goblin-cleaver”
  • “Glamdring the Foehammer”
The bike is supposed to weigh only 40 lbs. If you need to, you can pick it up and wield it like a sword.

The kitties were very keen. They wanted to play with all the different parts of the bike. After I assembled it, though, they lost interest.

I pedaled for five minutes, mostly on the toughest setting, and now I’m very sore. Karin pedaled rather comically for ten minutes. The bike’s pedaling mechanism seems quite good. The screen, which is powered by two triple-A batteries, gives the basic facts: distance, time, pulse, and kcals burned (I suppose this last measure is fallible).