March’s poem

… in recognition of World Contact Day, is by Café Tacvba. It’s about an E.T. encounter.

(1) The original, then (2) my paraphrase.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
¡Ay! ¡Qué hombre que maneja el aparato!
Cuando volteé lo tenía arriba
Es una luz
Algún tiempo me dejó inmóvil
Solo me quedó el zumbido de la luz

Lo escuchaba en mi cabeza
En lengua extraña me hablaba
Pero entendí
Lo juro que no había tomado
Solo estaba encandilado
La hora perdí

Ay
Yo sé que vendrá por mí
Ay
Y me llevará a un jardín

Ay (Ay)

(Cuando me encontré con Pablo
fue que me contó esta historia
No le creí
Eso fue algunos meses
desde entonces que no lo vemos
más por aquí

Ya no sé ni que pensar
desde que llegó una carta
del hospital:
Pablo tiene quemaduras y ceguera permanente
No quiere hablar)

Ay
Yo sé que vendrá por mí
Ay
Y me llevará a un jardín
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
¡Ay! … Such a man steering the vessel!
When I turned, it hovered over:
A beam of light …
Some time he paralyzed me
Only left me with the buzzing
Of the light

I listened to him in my head
Although strange words he said
His point I grasped
Trust me: I wasn’t sozzled
Only utterly bedazzled
The hours passed

Ay
I know he’ll come back for me
Ay
To a garden, he’ll take me

Ay (ay)

(When I last ran into Pablo, he related a wild tale
I wouldn’t hear
That was several months previous
These days we never see him
Near here

Since the clinic’s letter came here
I no longer have an inkling
What to think:
Pablo, badly burned, forever blinded,
Declines to speak)

Ay
I know he’ll come back for me
Ay
To a garden, he’ll take me
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯


Compare:
Acts 9
2 Corinthians 12