Poor, unfortuble souls

Modifying a song from The Little Mermaid, Samuel has coined the word “unfortuble,” as in:

“Poor, unfortuble souls.”

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Daniel has taken to postponing his afternoon nap as long as possible. Not that he doesn’t still need to nap.

The wilder he gets, the closer he is to sleeping. Lately, his escalation has manifested itself as repeated summersaulting, headfirst, off the couch.

Yesterday, after a particularly violent landing, he lay on the floor, smiling, and gently floated off to dreamland. I was reminded of Frank Reynolds and Charlie Kelly in It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, who put themselves to bed every night by scarfing down catfood until they feel so awful, they have to go to sleep.

(Daniel likes to scarf down catfood, too.)

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

In a moment of frustration, I called Samuel a monster. He thought it was a great joke.

Later I was singing “My Son Calls Another Man ‘Daddy’,” by Hank Williams, while a child (Daniel, I think) tried mightily to push me away from the kitchen counter even as I was fixing him a sandwich.

“Your father is singing that as a threat,” Karin told the child.

I wasn’t, but I liked that reinterpretation of the song.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Six Harry Potter books down, one to go. Book 6, utterly devastating, is my favorite so far.

In our household, we employ a useful phrase, “The Shocking Truth,” to refer to the last entry in a narrative series. As in: “Be quiet, children, your father & I are trying to watch The Shocking Truth of WPC 56, series 1.” I was tempted to read the last Harry Potter book as soon as I finished book 6, but then I calmed down, decided to stick to the schedule, and resigned myself to waiting until next month to read The Shocking Truth.