The lawn care begins

Luis, our neighbor, kindly mowed our front lawn at 8:45 this morning, before the rain was due to fall. I was awake but hadn’t gone out to mow because I figured it was too early to make noise on a Saturday. But then other neighbors started mowing their lawns, too, so I went outside and mowed the back.

Here Luis poses next to his portable speaker. He likes to play norteño music while he mows.


He earns his living mowing lawns and fixing other people’s mowers. He gets so much business, he has to contract some of it out.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Prodded into early action, Karin & I cleaned our house and then walked the boys over to the nearby high school, which I hadn’t previously visited. A “community event” was in session. There were food trucks, bounce houses, tables manned by representatives of local businesses and nonprofits, etc. Samuel and Daniel wouldn’t play in the bounce houses. They seemed shellshocked by the loud music. Samuel did grab candy off of the tables.

We got food truck vouchers and ate a cheap lunch. We wandered the school’s hallways and searched in class photos for people we know.

Several of the hallways there are rather steeply sloped. I fantasized about running laps in that building.

We left the school, walked to the grocery store and the library, and then walked home and cleaned more of our house. Karin pulled some weeds. I don’t know about her, but I’m the sorest I’ve been for many months.