When in doubt

Thank you for your concern. We feel less sick – or I do, most of the time, once I’ve swallowed my medicine.

Karin says: You can tell them I have a lingering cough.

The last couple of days, I’ve pushed Samuel and Daniel around the neighborhood in their two-seated stroller, vigorously enough to give myself blisters. The afternoon goes more smoothly if I’ve taken the boys outside. Best case: they soon fall asleep.

A lot of parenting is just running out the clock.

I took them to the store today to buy more diapers. I’d forgotten Samuel’s diaper size, so I unstrapped him from the stroller, deftly pulled his pants down, and looked at his diaper. He thought it was very funny.

I congratulated myself for having raised such a good-humored and uninhibited child.

Then, I looked at the diapers on the store shelf and noticed that they’re categorized by the child’s weight. I needn’t have found out what his “size” is. (Even now, I don’t remember it.)