Puffin rock

A day in the 40s (F) – a nice temperature because the snow melted and I didn’t have to shovel. The next days will be in the 20s, so I made sure to go strolling. I’m afraid Samuel doesn’t enjoy these cold-weather strolls. When he saw I was going to put his coat on him, he tried to crawl away, which he’d never done before. But, of course, I caught him.

Though the temperature wasn’t piercing, the wind was. Samuel was glad when we came home.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Samuel’s favorite TV show is Puffin Rock. Karin & I have begun saying “P-U-F-F-I-N-R-O-C-K” to one another because if Samuel hears the words “Puffin Rock” he gets a little wild. The show itself is not very wild. Two pufflings, Oona and Baba, live with their parents and various other small animals – foxes, frogs, owls, bunnies, shrews, hermit crabs, etc. – on an island off the southwest coast of Ireland. Their gentle adventures are narrated by Chris O’Dowd.

Oona is a kind soul. Baba is so infantile that he looks like a fluffy white tennis ball with big eyes. He expresses himself in a lively but inarticulate fashion (he reminds me of Woodstock, Snoopy’s bird friend in Peanuts). I wonder if Samuel is in especial sympathy with Baba; in any case, he laughs and laughs whenever the puffins carry twigs or fishes in their beaks.

Here is a scene in which the puffins guide a lost frog back to its pond.


Tonight, Karin & I put on an episode of Wallace and Gromit – A Matter of Loaf and Death – and, alas, Samuel was terrified. Which was a proper reaction, since it really is an unsettling little movie.