Reuniting, pt. 2

As Quito celebrated its fiestas, my high school class held its twenty-year reunion, online. Some 35–40 former students and school workers joined in.

A few who were in Quito filmed themselves walking outside with their COVID-19 masks on (they are legally required to wear them in public, even when out of doors). One of these classmates left the video conference, came back, left again, and came back again. In one appearance, she was traveling in a car; in another, she and her family were eating fritada at an hostería; and in yet another, she seemed to be riding a horse.

The rest of us just hunkered down in front of our computers and phones. One person took this screenshot:


I kept thinking how everyone looked just the same.

Well, I suppose we’ve changed quite a bit, as this photo from our senior trip attests:


Even so, during the reunion, I had no difficulty recognizing faces, voices, gestures, or personalities. I hardly said anything – the larger the gathering, the less I’m inclined to speak – but I took great pleasure in viewing and listening to everyone.

Were I to meet any of these people again, we would accept each other without much trouble, or so I should like to think.