Our annual holiday

The semifinals of the Champions League were unremarkable. The winners, PSG and Bayern Munich, played on Sunday, and Bayern deservedly came away with the title.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Karin took some days off from work, as she does every summer, but this year we didn’t travel much. We went as far as New Buffalo, Michigan – forty-five minutes away. With our friends, Dan, Lizzie, and their children, we strolled through a county park distinguished by its marshy scenery and two boardwalks: one high in the air, the other at marsh level. We saw marsh plants and kayakers and little fishes.

Then we tried out the beach at New Buffalo. It was crowded with revelers from Illinois, so we left. Frankly, I’d rather have gone to a beach in wintry Old Buffalo. We went to Niles for lunch. On our way, in tiny Three Oaks, we were detained by a long parade of flag-waving tractor drivers.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Karin & I have been counting kcals again. I’ve lost several lbs. Watching my diet has forced me to acknowledge that butternut squash is more filling and nutritious than jasmine rice. Mowing has become a more welcome chore, since it burns kcals and allows me to increase my food quota. I briefly considered buying a reel mower to work out even harder. Then I watched some videos of people using reel mowers and decided it wasn’t for me.