Church outdoors and indoors

We went to parking-lot church again. The weather was cooler than last week, and Karin and Samuel and I were shaded under a canopy. This time, I was able to pay attention to the sermon.

Then, during the closing hymn, someone drove a truck into the parking lot and frighteningly charged and vroomed and skidded around the worshipers. Thankfully, it wasn’t an anti-religious terrorist. It was just one of the churchgoers’ relations, bringing her her purse.

There are some unique drawbacks to parking-lot church.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Meanwhile, at home, we’ve been enjoying the video of the “UK Blessing.” It debuted a month ago, and it’s my favorite thing that has come out of the quarantining period. Samuel has heard it enough times now that when I sing it to him, he stops and looks at me, a little awestruck.

(I’m especially pleased to see Salvationists in the video.)


I can’t but be encouraged by the show of unity of these Christians of different ages and colors and credal flavors – and deeply saddened, as political and racial tensions run high again in the United States.

It would have been good if the quarantining had been an occasion for repentance and reconciliation. Alas, in this country, the opportunity seems to have been wasted.