Good and bad things

Another blessing for the quarantined:

“90 Classic Looney Tunes Cartoons You Can Watch Right Now.”

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Alas, the economy is wrecked. Tuition-dependent higher education is wrecked, or will be. Job prospects in my field are wrecked.

I’m sad that, on Monday, Karin will return to her job. It’s been wonderful to have her at home. But I’m grateful that she’s employed for the foreseeable future.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

I’m glad I didn’t land any of those nine-month “visiting instructor” jobs I applied for last year. Not only would I’ve had to endure a disruptive spring term, but Karin and Samuel and I would’ve been forced to self-quarantine in a strange college town, in some dinky, overpriced apartment. I’m glad we live rent-free in an unmortgaged house owned by my parents. We pay property taxes and utility costs, but they’re quite bearable.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

We do have some onerous maintenance to do (in addition to what was predictable). Our front yard seems to be at the end of a wind tunnel. It captures a lot of trash, which we spent much of this warm day picking up.

We left Samuel bundled up on the porch so he could watch us. The wind still got to him, though, and he was displeased.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

On Thursday, I enjoyed a video conference with Josh, a dear school friend with whom I hadn’t talked in many years.

Last night, Martin’s parents contributed some home-cooked meals.

Today, our friend Sarah stopped by to give us some children’s books, as well as protective masks that her husband, Brandon, had bought for us at the Farmer’s Market.