The Oscars

Karin cooked a fine supper, and then we settled down to watch TV all evening.

When we’d had our fill of Veronica Mars and Poirot, we turned on the Oscars. We saw the presentations of the last three awards – Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Picture.

I’d say, on the basis of the short movie clips featuring each nominee, that Renée Zellweger was the most deserving of her cohort.

I’d say, on the basis of his bloviation, that Joaquin Phoenix should have had his award taken away. His speech seemed twenty minutes long, yet he thanked no one.

Once again, this year, the best speech I heard was by Olivia Colman, who announced the Best Actor award winner. She told a lot of funny jokes. But the audience soon tired of them and stopped laughing – which was a pity.

Parasite won the award for Best Picture. It was the only movie I saw in a theater this year. (I also saw The Irishman, at home.)

R.I.P. Catherine Burns, nominated fifty years ago for one of the all-time great performances, in Last Summer.