Diploma

It’s been reported that the iconic Chilean cartoon strip, Condorito, begun in 1949, will no longer be printed.

This is big news. Condorito is the Peanuts of Latin America.

I could single out many great jokes from this comic, but I’ll recount just one: “Diploma.”

A traveler drives through Andean farm country. He stops his car and gets out to stretch his legs.

He asks a farmer for a drink of water. (The farmer is Condorito.)

A little boy is helping the farmer out in the field. The farmer tells him, “Diploma, fetch this traveler a glass of water.” The little boy goes. Presently, he returns with some water.

The farmer says, “Thank you, Diploma.”

The traveler slowly drinks his cold water. Then he turns to the farmer and makes conversation: “I couldn’t help but notice that the little boy is called ‘Diploma.’ A curious name! What is the reason for it?”

The farmer ruffles the boy’s hair. “Several years ago,” he says, “his mother went off to the city to attend the university. She told everyone that she wouldn’t return until she had a diploma. And here he is.”

The traveler goes ¡Plop!

When I was very little, I used to go around telling people this joke, not really understanding it. They would give me funny looks.

But it seems to me that this joke has somehow become one of the great themes of my life.