The documents in the case

Karin is combing through my academic printouts, alphabetizing and punching holes in them and storing them in binders. This is very helpful: I’ve been reminded of several articles that it’d be good for me to read or reread.

Occasionally, she finds an amusing personal document mixed in with the other papers.

There are some birthday cards that I never managed to send off. (Reader, don’t be surprised if you receive one.)

There are voided checks, old letters, business cards (“So-and-So, Independent Beauty Consultant”), and legal documents from Ecuador.

There are response papers that I handwrote – handwrote! – for a course that I took in my first semester of grad school. The early papers got Cs and Bs; the last one got an A+. The professor for that course went on to supervise my dissertation.

My writing was less technically proficient then, but more inventive.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Congratulations to Ecuador’s Sub-20 men’s team, which just won its first South American championship and qualified for the Pan American Games and the U-20 World Cup.