In praise of idleness

Karin was going to take a bath. She was sad. The weekend was drawing to a close.

With some hyperbole, she told me: “I think that people shouldn’t work.”

“I basically agree,” I said. “While you’re in the bath, why don’t you read this article, ‘In Praise of Idleness’ by Bertrand Russell.”

“I’m not going to read it in the bath. That would require too much work.”

“Then I’ll read you the first bit,” I said.

“How long is this article?” said Karin after a while.

“It goes from page 9 to page 29.”

Presently, I finished reading the article out loud. Karin groaned. “You read the whole thing.”

“I guess I did!”

Then Karin took her bath.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

I’ve never believed that working, in and of itself, is virtuous. I’ve always regarded it, in its usual severity, as a curse due to the Fall – or, at least, as a natural consequence of the Fall, of humanity’s rejection of God as its sovereign.

Russell (an atheist) explains tidily why this is so. He argues that if we had good central planning, we’d be required to work considerably less than we actually do (though each of us would have to contribute his or her fair share). Not only would this bring us more freedom, it would improve civilization, make us less warlike, and allow us to be “better-natured,” i.e., kinder and more loving.

But instead our rulers are unjust, and we’ve accepted their self-serving message that working is virtuous in and of itself. And so we resent each other and have wars, and, in our meager leisure-time, we’re too tired to do anything but watch TV.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Jesus says: “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”