The fall, pt. 2

So far today, I’ve walked five miles: to the doctor, to the bank, to my job, etc., etc. All the time, it’s been cold and rainy. And to think that I used to routinely do this sort of thing.

A householder on Sunnyside Ave has left out some potted ibises, free for the taking.

At the office, things are quiet. I trust the rain to keep my tutees away. What with the fall weather and Halloween, I’m reading three “supernatural thrillers”:

The Man Who Was Thursday (this is my fourth time);

All Hallows’ Eve; and

Inferno.

For this last book, I’m using Mark Musa’s evocative, elegant translation and notes (next time, I might read someone else’s). Inferno is like the Bible: each new version brings out something different. Also, like the Bible, it’s profoundly sobering.

Inferno has its quirks, though. Dante (the character) always is fainting. (Things keep getting worse and worse down there in Hell.) Also, Dante clearly thinks well of his own ability. He likes to group himself with the most illustrious fallen poets.