The fall

Fall has arrived: cool air, cloudy skies, a congested work schedule.

At IUSB, I’m one of the longest-serving tutors. This means that my hours are more numerous – and less regular – than in previous years. And it means that when I’m not tutoring, I’m writing emails to set up special tutoring sessions.

These things get in the way of meeting my life goals, such as finishing the Ph.D. and making enough money to sire children in good conscience. (Of course, by wishing to sire human children, I don’t mean to devalue Jasper and Ziva. I love them as dearly as if they were my own offspring.)

This week, at last, I met Russell, Ana’s & David’s little son (Ana & David are visiting from Texas). Russell is no larger than Jasper. He’s partly a terrier and partly a Chihuahua. He has a considerable repertoire of tricks.

Last night, at supper, our whole family watched Russell do his tricks. Then we watched one of our favorite movies: Citizen X, about a Soviet serial killer. The Donald Sutherland character reminded me of my Ph.D. advisor.