Vonnegut

June is marching along, and I find myself not having posted any entries.

Ziva and Jasper have been fighting with especial savagery. Why? Who knows. The good thing is, when I talk to them, they calm down and nicely sit near to each other. This reaffirms C.S. Lewis’s view that Man is the proper authority over the Beasts.

I’m reading God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater. It strikes me that Kurt Vonnegut and I have a similar tripartite heritage (or karass): Ecuador, Indiana, and Cornell (not, for Vonnegut, in that sequence).

It’s the first time since 2009 I’ve read anything by that Hoosier.

As a consequence of reading Vonnegut, my thinking has been distinctively aphoristic. Today I came up with this definition:
Scholarship: Inquiry that pretends to discern which mortals have been important, and in what order.
(If that isn’t sufficiently original, please tell me the source so that I can know to whom it should be credited.)