The new reading year

I see that my old reading year (May to April) has ended, and that I managed to get through a puny total of six books, i.e., one book every two months. This makes 2015–16 my most anemic (documented) year of reading. And one of the books that I read this year was Gillian Flynn’s The Grownup, just sixty-some pages long. The only full novel that I read was The Remains of the Day.

How is this possible, when I highly value reading? How, when I am surrounded by friends and family who are voracious readers? When everywhere I go, I carry one or two or three books with me? When I buy maybe ten books each month? When, when I check out books at IUSB, it takes a full minute for the librarian to print out the receipt with all of my borrowings? How?

I resolve, this new reading year, to read more.