Gloating

This talk show is gratifying to watch. Stephen and I fondly recalled it last night, while we were observing the futility of Argentina and Brazil.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

The team that gained on everyone was Bolivia, due to their two-goal victory over Venezuela. But the team that leapt into first place was Ecuador.

Stephen was irked because the Uruguayans “were not dominated completely.”

Indeed, they blemished our defensive record. Edinson Cavani, slightly offside, headed in a goal.

I had to remind Stephen that the Uruguayans are always difficult to play against, because of their garra, and because of their counterattacking prowess.

Also, I noted, many of our best players were absent.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

But I preferred to focus on our achievements.

Our first goal was exquisite. It was crafted by three different players: el Zar, la Hormiga, and Felipao.

Later, even Fidel Martínez acquitted himself. He scored a tap-in.


♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Except for Martínez’s goal, I didn’t view these events when they occurred. I was busy tutoring (alas). My final pupil, a middle-aged Moroccan, noticed that I was streaming a soccer game on my computer; and so her assignment took on a less urgent feel for her. We watched until the game ended. Then we finished going over her assignment, after I’d clocked out.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Perhaps my tone in writing about Ecuador has sounded more and more cocky since October 8, the day of the Argentina game. I’m sure it’s painful to listen to. I don’t mean to give offense.

But I understand now how the Argentinians and the Brazilians *used to* feel, during their periods of overwhelming excellence.