The activist

I’m writing a letter to the president and trustees of my old college, trying to persuade them not to fire teachers for refusing to teach (or to believe?) that the Bible contradicts the theory of evolution.

[*Sigh*]

This is my first time doing philosophy and social activism together. It isn’t easy. I’m not permitting myself to indulge these habits:

  • quoting (except from the Bible and the “Position Papers” of the denomination);
  • qualifying nearly every statement (my poor readers would never get through the whole epistle);
  • worrying about the font.

I wasn’t fine-tuned to be an activist.

If any of you fellow alumni are interested in this cause, let me know, and I’ll tell you some more details.

One surprise: my sympathy is growing for the anti-evolutionists. I think they may have a case. I mean, I still think they shouldn’t fire people, but I also think the anti-anti-evolutionsists owe them a concession. (Another reason I’m a lousy activist.)