Romaniacs, pt. 533: The coffee drinker

Rainy weather, and so I’ve decided to read A Wrinkle in Time. “It was a dark and stormy night.”

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Last night, after I wrote those lines, I promptly fell asleep. I’ve been falling asleep very early. The previous night, at around 9:30, I was on the living room floor playing with the cat, and I fell asleep.

At least I knew which day it was.

Cristian: “How nice to see you, John-Paul. Are we supposed to go out for coffee today?”

JP: “No, Cristian.”

Cristian: “When did we recently go out for coffee? Was it last week?”

JP: “It was yesterday, Cristian.”

Edoarda, Stephen’s gf, remarks that during her four years at Bethel she has watched Cristian become more presidential, i.e. more gray. I point out that this is due to his age, not to his lifestyle.

Even so.

Cristian pushes himself through life by drinking loads of coffee; maybe that’s why his emails tend to arrive at 3:00 in the morning. I couldn’t live that way. After my third or fourth cup I’d be a jittery wreck. On the other hand, I fall asleep whenever I try to grade papers.

As we share a French press, Cristian tells me of the habits of a certain well-loved metaphysician who didn’t have a lot of grading to do. “He used to read detective novels all morning, and then he would cheerfully write for a couple of hours; then his workday was over.” A hint of bitterness. “With such a routine, who wouldn’t be creative!”

Indeed. And with such a routine, the guy’s prose had better be damned good. None of this unnecessary formalism in his popular writings; no tiresome avuncularity. He owes it to those of us who have trouble staying awake, who are too tired to read what we truly enjoy.