KPC

This year I’m looking at job ads in a different way. For example, there’s one from a college in rural Saskatchewan. Last year I would’ve leaped at it, anticipating that Netflix and Amazon would sustain me. But now I’m warier: I want to know which churches are in that place.

For the first time, I’m being picky about where to worship. I don’t want to just settle for the nearest building or for the most familiar denomination (i.e., the least distant relation). I wish I could choose a church first, and move to it.

Why am I being so picky? I guess it’s because I’m (surprisingly) glad to be worshiping at Keller Park. I’ve often had enthusiasm about this church; I used to admire what it did for other people (or what it was trying to do). But now I’m experiencing its influence:

• my resistance (intellectual, emotional) is loosening;
• my prayers are more frequent and less vexed;
• I’m more interested in the other congregants.

And if elsewhere I don’t continue experiencing these things, I’ll be disappointed.

When I do get hired to teach philosophy, I’ll be sad to move away from KPC. But I remind myself that right now I’m enjoying a respite, not fulfilling my vocation. For all I know, the blessings here will cool if I overstay my season.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

At the bus stop, a beggar fleeces me. We converse; he notices the wound on the back of my hand.

How did you get that?

I spattered hot cooking oil onto my hand.

You should cover it with cocoa butter.

No.

Yes, that’s what you should do for burns. Be careful. Those scabs will scar.

I wouldn’t mind. That would look cool.

[Delighted:] Like a tattoo?

Yes, like a tattoo. And I’m pleased with these scabs because people talk to me about them.

[He sits down next to me.] Where are you from?

Ecuador.

Where’s that?

South America.

South America! And where do you live?

Here. In the neighborhood.

[We discuss our schooling, our work. He is a mechanic. He wants to be trained to become a welder but first must earn his G.E.D.]

[The bus is arriving. Now is my chance. I say:]

Do you go to church?

Yes, at First Methodist.

I attend the Keller Park Church. That’s why I moved into the neighborhood. To attend that church.

[A wave of feeling washes over him. He smiles with his three teeth:]

Well that’s wonderful.

[Fist bump.]

I board the bus. He walks down the sidewalk with the fare I’ve given him.